Have you ever had one of those days where it was just the most productive day ever? Everything that you wanted to do, you did. Not only did you complete it but you were just brilliant. It is like you are walking on cloud nice and nothing could go wrong that day. Of course, you know that won’t last but you are certainly enjoying the day and how it makes you feel.
I have been wondering about that recently. I have been wondering why those days are so sporadic. I have days when the creative juices are just flowing and every word that comes out of my mouth was just wise beyond my age. And then before I know it, I am back to earth feeling mortal again. What happened to my super powers? This got me to do some research to discover what is behind those productive days. Various writers have viewed this topic from morning rituals, super charged mental attributes, great strength and perseverance, to lifestyle that breeds calmness to creativity. In summary, I have discovered that there is no magic formula. It all comes down to you and a variety of options that suits you.
Let me summarise what those possibilities would look like:
- You. You need to know you. What do you need to know? Here are some questions:
- What is your working style?
- What is the best time for you to do your most creative work? What is the best time for you to do the most challenging work?
- Where do you get ideas from?
- How are you feeling today?
- What can you do to enhance that?
- Where do you find inspiration?
- Do you have any inspirational quotes that you remind yourself when the going gets tough?
- What drives you?
- What is your desired outcome?
- Lifestyle or Habits. There are some good and healthy lifestyle choices that each of us should make. Research has proven that:
- Exercise is critical in living a healthy life which gives you more energy and helps to destress.
- Eating healthy and well will fuel your body correctly and you will feel the difference.
- Rest and sleep are critical for our bodies and minds to repair, recover and rejuvenate.
- Relationships are what we are designed for. We need people to love and be love, to learn and be challenge, to grow and to mature. People who are happy are generally people who have great relationships with people around them. When you are happy or filled with joy, you tend to be in the right frame of mind to think, rationalize and innovate.
- Resourcefulness enables you to be creative in finding solutions to challenges. When you face a roadblock to productivity, resourcefulness will help you find ways around it. Hitting your head against the roadblock is usually painful but getting around it usually just takes a more creative approach to the challenge.
- Fear Not will enable you to view possibilities. Being productive requires that you face those daunting days and still be productive despite it. Eliminating worry and fear goes a long way to ensuring that you mind is not trapped in the fear cycle but is free to explore solutions.
- Just do it. I love this motto because to get through those ugly days, we just do it. No need to grumble or complain, just press forward.
The key is to know and take advantage of those days. Set the right expectations and work towards simple goals to achieve. It is better to achieve goals no matter how simple, than to wait for the perfect day as that is just a waste of time.
PS: Special for March, I am conducting a special free 30-min session to help you with any questions around coaching that you might have and how coaching could be the resource to help you have a purposeful year. Just click here to start the journey.