I wrote an article previous on 10 Things to Give up to Move forward. There are only things that we should never give up on. Just like any sporting team or athlete, the never give up attitude is critical to winning or losing. This attitude enables us to overcome adversities, challenges and turns the impossible to possible.
The top 3 areas never to give up on:
- Who YOU are. This comprises your principles, character, values and faith. It makes up who you are. In turn that will determine your outcome in how life is lived out. You determine what you believe in, the choices that you make and the actions that you will take. Successful people are those who are very clear on who they are and who they are not. Don’t try to imitate someone else. Don’t try and live out under the expectations of others. You determine the quality and significance of your life.
- Dreams and Life Purpose. Life is precious and short. We all know that. Hence don’t go through life without seeing out your dreams and life purposes. Each of us is created for a purpose and it is in your hands how you live it out. It is easy to give up when the going gets tough, but don’t take the easy way out as the result will be of regret.
- People that you love. Love is a powerful emotion but also a decision and commitment that requires perseverance, forgiveness, patience and hard work. No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. We might perceive some mistakes to be bigger or more unforgivable than some. It is important to separate the person that we love vs. the acts or actions that a person does. To love the person and not necessarily the action is key in never giving up on someone who is difficult to love.
What happens if we are faced with impossible odds or the challenges seem like Goliath? All challenges by definition will seem like Goliath at the start as our mind makes it harder and scarier that it actually is. Challenges seems huge because our minds will perceive the task ahead as impossible and perceive our abilities as weak and feeble. As a result, we see ourselves as grasshoppers and the challenge as giants.
As with all perceptions, we are also able to change our perceptions and view it through different lenses. View it though eyes of faith vs. eyes of fear. To help you do so, try these options:
- Ask yourself What-If. What if you overcome the challenge? What do you see beyond the challenge? What if the challenge is not as complex or big as you had first thought? What-if you break it down to smaller parts?
- Step by step. Breaking down a problem or challenge, step by step. Smaller bits are easier to chew and overcome than taking the big chunk and try to solve it. Deconstruct the challenge.
- Ask for help. Find a friend, mentor, adviser, coach, someone that you can talk to and brainstorm ideas. Someone who is able to help you redefine the challenge and explore options with you. Don’t be afraid to reach for help.
- Take accountability of your actions. Don’t blame the situation or other people for the challenges. Take ownership of it and take responsible steps to action on it. Mind your business as they say. You are only in control of your actions and not others.
- Always focus on the big picture, your dreams or purpose. Don’t lose sight of what you are trying to accomplish. Having a clear objective of what you are trying to accomplish can drive you forward as well as to give you that extra push when required.
No one ever succeeds in anything if they give up. Never giving up is a driving force to ensure that we push through whatever the challenges, no matter the odds. Success is just around the corner, only if we never give up on the final few steps. Failure or mistakes will be made. Owning up to the mistakes and making the necessary adjustments to start again. Never giving up enables that start to take place. Only you can make that mindset and heart change. Decide today to never give up on yourself, your dreams and the people you love.