Have you ever come across someone that just annoys you? That person who just seems to trigger a negative response in you. Just hearing them or seeing them makes you want to turn the other direction and walk away. What do you do when you can’t escape? You are in a meeting with them or have to work with them. What do you do?
Things to know about annoying people:
- They think and act like they are better than you. Maybe they are fountain of knowledge. Give credit where credit is due.
- They believe that they are better than you. Maybe they are but does that really matter.
- They think that they know it all and therefore have to let everyone know that they know it all.
- They feel entitled. Entitled to receive all the credit, all the recognition and awards.
- They feel that the world revolves around them.
What annoying people don’t know:
- They are annoying. Some people don’t realise that they are annoying. Of course some do know and enjoy it.
- They are not liked. They don’t know why people don’t like them or why no many people want to get to know them better.
- There might be something wrong about them.
- They might not be as good as they think they are.
Why are you annoyed by these people?
- You see them for who you believe they are – not as good as they think.
- Misalign with your value system.
- Battle of egos – that’s right yours vs. theirs.
- You just don’t like their behaviour and attitude.
What can you do?
- Stay away from them.
- Play nice and polite.
- Change your perception, maybe you can learn something from them especially around what NOT to do.
- Look at one positive quality. There must be at least one positive quality that they would have. No one is perfect.
- Be objective and professional. No drinks with them for sure.
- Are you that annoying person?
- Think about one person who annoys you. What is it that annoys you? List them down.
- Now compare that list of annoying traits with your values or beliefs. Are there any similarities? What are the differences?
- What can you do to make your interactions more pleasant for you?
- What can you learn from them? What can you learn NOT to do?
- Now ask yourself again, are you that annoying person.
Truth be told, we can’t avoid them and therefore might as well make the best of the interaction. There is always something to learn from one another and therefore, if you take that approach, you will surely learn something. Enjoy!